The award is designed to provide trained, knowledgeable and enthusiastic community based physical activity leaders.
Leaders will be equipped to work in a wide range of locations including local clubs, community groups, workplaces, community centres and sports' clubs.
Leaders will aim to increase participation rates in physical activity in a variety of practical ways:
- Encourage a wide range of people, such as friends, colleagues and contacts to take up active leisure pursuits
- Apply their knowledge and skills to plan, organise and lead safe, enjoyable activity sessions with small groups
- Assist in the planning, organising and running of community sports days
Aims of the Course
The intended outcome is that the trainee leader will be competent and confident in taking charge of a group for physical activity sessions. Specifically, the successful leader will be equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to plan, organise and lead physical activity sessions within their own group setting. The training courses are organised at local level by Local Sports Partnership
At the start of the course, trainee leaders should be over 18 years.
Following the course, the successful leader will:
- Understand their role as a leader and how they will apply it within their organisation
- Display an ability to plan and lead a fun physical activity session demonstrating leadership skills such as communication, observation and group management
- Demonstrate an ability to safely lead a group of up to 16 people
The total course will be 10 to 12 hours comprising of practical and theoretical units.